If you like empanadas, then you definitely need the Best Empanada Press and Maker. Below, we have put together the Top 4 Empanada Presses Reviews. Just choose the one that is best for you.
A widely popular recipe throughout Latin and South America, empanadas are pastries which are filled with meat, cheese, sea food, veggies or fruit. It is a stuffed pastry which is both baked and fried.
Said to have originated from Spain, where the Empanada Festival is held (being of Galician culture) the name is derived from empanar meaning to coat with bread. Almost all cultures have some sort of “pocket” or meat pie food but it does not necessarily have to be meat. Various variations of these portable meals are found in Italian calzone, turnovers or Cornish pasties.
If you are looking to make your own empanadas and you want the right tools for the job read on! We have reviewed the four top options below.
Nordic Ware Pocket Pie Crimper Review
All sorts of toppings can be piled onto this robust crimper. The “bowl” is approximately one inch deep and will result in six inch pies.
Simply place in your ingredients along with the base of your choice, and the scalloped edges of this handy tool will seal up your treat nice and tight. The protruding handles are nice and ergonomic and make squeezing and crimping much easier.
Progressive Dough Press – Set of 3 Review
A nice feature is each press is BPA free and dishwasher safe. I am a fan of the extended edge at the top of the press which gives you a bit more leverage, and allows you to keep your hands clean.
The bottom of the crimper is great at cutting out the perfect size dough circles if you do not already have a pre-made base.
Holstein Housewares HF-09001B Empanada Maker Review
Simply set up your dough and include your favorite filling. When you close the lid, a safety lock in the handle keeps the maker sealed until the food is done. An indicator light helps show when each batch is done.
NOTE: This model is a bit on the small side at 9 inches by 9 inches by 4 inches. You can choose from a variety of colors for the outer shell of this handy empanada maker.
Amytalk Dumpling Maker 2 Pcs Stainless Steel Review
You get one large size and one small size.
The bottom of each press works great at cutting out the right size dough that you will need. Each press is easy to clean and they are dishwasher safe.
Empanada Press Buying Guide – How to find the best empanada press for your needs.
The art of closing and sealing the empanada by hand is called el repulgado. But that is tricky, needs practice and could pop open. So to make things easy, the answer to your empanada-popping problem is an Empanada Press!
Also sold as dough presses, empanada or dumplings makers, empanada presses can be found in all kind of stores specifically Latin or Asian stores. Now they have become quite commonly available over the internet.
The price of empanada press could vary as it depends on the type and the size as well as the material it is made of.
- An empanada press will enable you to make authentic empanadas without the risk of popping open as they cut and seal them perfectly.
- These empanada presses are incredibly simple to operate, all you need to do is to place the dough, add your required filling and press.
- The empanada presses available in the market are made for safe use of dish washer which makes it very easy to clean.
- Empanada presses are compact and do not take much space making it easy to use.
- Get an empanada press and give your empanadas the perfect professional look!
- The backside of empanada press cuts the dough in perfect circle.
- An empanada press is multi-maker and can be used to make other recipes as well if you mix and match and interchange inserts for different dishes.
- Also comes with perfect molds which you can use to make dumplings, ravioli, pelmeni and turnovers.
- The cooking and cleaning is easy because it comes with non-stick coated cooking surface.
- You could add a bit of color to your kitchen counter as it comes in number of shades.
- The crimped edges make the edges seal tight.
- Empanada makers in different sizes of 4”, 5” and 6” so you could add variety in sizes.
- Both homemade and commercial dough can be used.
- Easily washable with soapy water.
- In case of electric empanada maker, you could see at a glance if it is on or off with an indicator light.
- Usually comes in BPA-free plastic.
- Most of empanada presses come with safety lock built in the easy to use and convenient carry handle with a non-slip base which keeps the maker securely closed and in place, while you are cooking.
Before buying an empanada press consider your usage and the ideal size, if you want to use it for more than making empanadas, go for the one with interchangeable inserts.